Gamescom, Gamescom, where for art thou Gamescom?
Well, the intrepid Turtlegirl has now turned in, preparing for what will be an unreasonably early morning. She will be leaving at 4.30 am, a time that I thought only existed in myth and legend, in order to catch a flight to Germany. Upon arriving, she will be thrown straight in the deep end with a whole host of EA stuff to do. It will be a long day indeed.
Although tomorrow is the first day of this massive gaming convention, the news has already started coming through, thick and fast. We have the major press conferences from Microsoft, Sony and EA, along with a ton of other announcements from various publishers and developers.
Microsoft have revealed that Fable III is still looking good and will be celebrated with a limited edition wireless controller. They have also announced that Age of Empires Online will be heading to a PC near you before too long, and that the flight sim will be reborn with Microsoft Flight. Perhaps the most interesting news was regarding the Windows Phone 7 which will put Xbox Live in the palm of your hand. There will be avatars, achievements and all of your friends within this little mobile talky device. It could be impressive. What was impressive was the list of games that they announced for this mobile gaming platform. Here they are – please don’t wet yourselves:
* â€œ3D Brick Breaker Revolutionâ€ (Digital Chocolate)
* â€œAge of Zombiesâ€ (Halfbrick)
* â€œArmor Valleyâ€ (ProtÃ©gÃ© Games)
* â€œAsphalt 5â€ (Gameloft)
* â€œAssassins Creedâ€ (Gameloft)
* â€œBejeweledTM LIVEâ€ (PopCap)
* â€œBloons TDâ€ (Digital Goldfish)
* â€œBrain Challengeâ€ (Gameloft)
* â€œBubble Town 2â€ (i-Play)
* â€œButterflyâ€ (Press Start Studio)
* â€œCarneyVale Showtimeâ€ (MGS)
* â€œCastlevaniaâ€ (Konami)
* â€œCrackdown 2: Project Sunburstâ€ (MGS)
* â€œDe Blob Revolutionâ€ (THQ)
* â€œDeal or No Deal 2010â€ (i-Play)
* â€œEarthworm Jimâ€ (Gameloft)
* â€œFast & Furious 7â€ (i-Play)
* â€œFight Game Rivalsâ€ (Rough Cookie)
* â€œFinger Physicsâ€ (Mobliss Inc.)
* â€œFlight Controlâ€ (Namco Bandai)
* â€œFlowerzâ€ (Carbonated Games)
* â€œFroggerâ€ (Konami)
* â€œFruit Ninjaâ€ (Halfbrick)
* â€œGame Chest-Boardâ€ (MGS)
* â€œGame Chest-Cardâ€ (MGS)
* â€œGame Chest-Logicâ€ (MGS)
* â€œGame Chest-Solitaireâ€ (MGS)
* â€œGeoDefenseâ€ (Critical Thought)
* â€œGhostscapeâ€ (Psionic)
* â€œGlow Artisanâ€ (Powerhead Games)
* â€œGlyder 2â€ (Glu Mobile)
* â€œGuitar Hero 5â€ (Glu Mobile)
* â€œHalo Waypointâ€ (MGS)
* â€œHexic Rushâ€ (Carbonated Games)
* â€œI Dig Itâ€ (InMotion)
* â€œiBlast Mokiâ€ (Godzilab)
* â€œilomiloâ€ (MGS)
* â€œImplode XLâ€ (IUGO)
* â€œIquariumâ€ (Infinite Dreams)
* â€œJet Car Stuntsâ€ (True Axis)
* â€œLetâ€™s Golf 2â€ (Gameloft)
* â€œLittle Wheelâ€ (One click dog)
* â€œLoondonâ€ (Flip N Tale)
* â€œMax and the Magic Markerâ€ (PressPlay)
* â€œMini Squadronâ€ (Supermono Limited)
* â€œMore Brain Exerciseâ€ (Namco Bandai)
* â€œO.M.G.â€ (Arkedo)
* â€œPuzzle Quest 2â€ (Namco Bandai)
* â€œReal Soccer 2â€ (Gameloft)
* â€œThe Revenantsâ€ (Chaotic Moon)
* â€œRise of Gloryâ€ (Revo Solutions)
* â€œRocket Riotâ€ (Codeglue)
* â€œSplinter Cell Convictionâ€ (Gameloft)
* â€œStar Wars: Battle for Hothâ€ (THQ)
* â€œStar Wars: Cantinaâ€ (THQ)
* â€œThe Harvestâ€ (MGS)
* â€œThe Oregon Trailâ€ (Gameloft)
* â€œTower Bloxx NYâ€ (Digital Chocolate)
* â€œTwin Bladesâ€ (Press Start Studio)
* â€œUNOâ€ (Gameloft)
* â€œWomenâ€™s Murder Club: Death in Scarletâ€ (i-Play)
* â€œZombie Attack!â€ (IUGO)
* â€œZombies!!!!â€ (Babaroga)
It would take a real cynic not to be impressed with that. I spot Castlevania, Crackdown 2, Assassin’s Creed, De Blob, Bloons TD…Ok, forget the last one.
The big news from Sony included new model PS3s with larger HDDs, PlayStation Move confirmed for September 15th, some more PSP Essentials and a couple of new games. I was very excited to hear that we, in the UK, will be able to access the ITV catch up service through our Sony gaming machines. Yay!
The two games confirmed were Resistance 3 and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, which will offer aÂ four player gaming experience. Of course there is also Gran Turismo 5, LittleBigPlanet 2, Infamous 2, Sorcery, DC Universe Online and Time Crisis: Razing Storm to look forward to. So don’t be thinking that the Sony news is a bit light on the ground. They are just pacing themselves.
For the actively minded, EA have released some more info on the upcoming EA Sports Active 2, complete with a heart monitor thingy, and David Beckham has become the mascot brand ambassador.
Without any hardware to faff about with, EA was all about the games with lots of shiny pictures and videos making their way both onto GGUK and the web in general. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, FIFA 11, Dragon Age 2, Bulletstorm, Medal of Honor, The Sims 3 for all consoles, which will include a karma system to torment your Sim with and the ability to get community content without leaving the game, and The Sims Medieval were all shown off. There was also an epic display of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows being played by the Weasley twins using Kinect. Dead Space 2 looked incredible and good news for all PS3 owners, Mass Effect 2 is coming your way next January.
There has also been some impressive news from THQ including Red Faction: Battlegrounds for PSN and XBLA, an expansion for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II called Retribution and a questionable tablet peripheral for the Wii, which will allow players to indulge in drawing games such as Pictionary. There is also a fun looking puzzle game coming that uses the peripheral called Dood’s Big Adventure, so it may not be all bad.
There was also news that Virtua Tennis 4 from Sega will have Move compatibility and support 3D. There are also some good looking trailers for Super Scribblenauts, Gun Loco, Lord of Arcana and Patrician IV. Whether or not these trailers will make it onto GGUK depends on how much longer YouTube decides to mess me about. Bah!
But all of that news aside, tomorrow is day one. We are expecting loads of great photos from the event, along with some interesting articles. The big news will trickle onto the site and hopefully, wifi permitting, we will get updates from TG each evening. Gamescom, here we come.