Ubisoft are coming very close to answering the age old question in Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag – Which are best, Pirates or Ninjas?
The newly announced Assassin’s Creed game, the forth numbered entry in the series, doesn’t actually have any Ninjas in. But there was certainly some Ninja-like stealth involved in the leaks for Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag over recent weeks. Ubisoft have now countered these attacks by officially announcing the game and releasing a bunch of details about it.
So, we don’t have Pirates vs Ninjas. How about Pirates vs Assassins? Or a Pirate Assassin against other Pirates, and of course Templars? And what about making this Pirate Assassin the grandfather of main character Connor from Assassin’s Creed III, and setting the game in the Caribbean? It’s a Pirate’s life for this Assassin’s Creed fan.
Details, trailers and screenshots are now available. In fact, we have some of them below for your enjoyment. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag will be coming to all platforms later this year, including the PlayStation 4, and follows the exploits of Edward Kenway, the grandfather of Connor, during the final decade of the Golden Age of Piracy in the West Indies.The game brings with it a whole host of things to get excited about, such as no more Desmond in the present, the ability to explore underwater, naval combat spilling onto the land seamlessly, famous Pirates and 50 unique locations to discover, including three main cities.
But is it too soon for a new Assassin’s Creed game? Are Ubisoft taking Assassin’s Creed down the same path as Activision’s Call of Duty? And is that a bad thing? Well, with different studios working on different games at the same time, I think it is safe to say that Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag has not been rushed. At the end of the day, that is what matters, right? I love the Assassin’s Creed games and they can bring out two or three a year – As long as the games have not been rushed, I will be happy as a bunny in a cowl. Of course some entries in the series won’t be as successful as others. Assassin’s Creed III may not have pleased every AC player. But from what we are seeing of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, it looks like something to get really excited about. Again.
Whatever happens, we have all been here before. The cat is now out of the bag and we can all look forward to a slow reveal of different aspects of the game over the coming months until the release. Whether you are excited or skeptical, can’t wait or have had enough, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is coming. You can’t stop it, so you might as well ride the waves with Edward Kenway and keep your eye on the horizon.
Let’s get the official word -
The year is 1715. Pirates rule the Caribbean and have established their own lawless Republic where corruption, greediness and cruelty are commonplace.
Among these outlaws is a brash young captain named Edward Kenway. His fight for glory has earned him the respect of legends like Blackbeard, but also drawn him into the ancient war between Assassins and Templars, a war that may destroy everything the pirates have built.
Welcome to the Golden Age of Piracy.
- A BRASH REBEL ASSASSIN – Become Edward Kenway, a charismatic yet brutal pirate captain, trained by Assassins. Edward can effortlessly switch between the Hidden Blade of the Assassin’s Order and all new weaponry including four flintlock pistols and dual cutlass swords.
- EXPLORE AN OPEN WORLD FILLED WITH OPPORTUNITIES – Discover the largest and most diverse Assassin’s Creed world ever created. From Kingston to Nassau, explore 50 unique locations where you can live the life of a pirate including:
—- Loot underwater shipwrecks
—- Assassinate Templars in blossoming cities
—- Hunt for rare animals in untamed jungles
—- Search for treasure in lost ruins
—- Escape to hidden coves
- BECOME THE MOST FEARED PIRATE IN THE CARIBBEAN – Command your ship, the Jackdaw, and strike fear in all who see her. Plunder and pillage to upgrade the Jackdaw with ammunition and equipment needed to fight off enemy ships. The ship`s improvements are critical to Edward` s progression through the game. Attack and seamlessly board massive galleons, recruit sailors to join your crew and embark on an epic and infamous adventure.
- EXPERIENCE THE GRITTY REALITY BEHIND THE PIRATE FANTASY – Stand amongst legendary names such as Blackbeard, Calico Jack and Benjamin Hornigold, as you establish a lawless Republic in the Bahamas and relive the truly explosive events that defined the Golden Age of Piracy.
- MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE – Fight against or cooperate with your friends in the ruthless and acclaimed multiplayer experience. Choose from an eclectic cast of characters and fight to the death in exotic themed maps.