In a new Nintendo Direct video announcement today, Nintendo revealed a whole host of news in relation to Nintendo 3DS. Topping the list for many gamers is a new Nintendo 3DS game in The Legend of Zelda series set in the world of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. The game is scheduled to launch towards the end of the year. Fans will also be excited to hear that a new game in the Yoshi’s Island series is being developed for Nintendo 3DS.
In keeping with the Year of Luigi theme, this Nintendo Direct announcement featured additional information on upcoming Nintendo 3DS games starring Luigi, including Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros., Mario Golf: World Tour, and a new instalment in the Mario Party series.
Today’s announcements included:
Nintendo 3DS News
- A new game in The Legend of Zelda series: Nintendo developers are working on a new game set in the world of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, which launched for Super NES in 1992. The game makes use of the 3D abilities of Nintendo 3DS, and allows Link to become a drawing and move within walls. A 3D video of the new game will be available in the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS shortly after Nintendo Direct. The game is scheduled to launch towards the end of the year.
- A new Yoshi’s Island game: The third instalment in the beloved franchise is making its way to Nintendo 3DS. Yoshi and Baby Mario are back with flutter jumps, ground pounds and egg throws, plus a host of new actions that use the unique features of Nintendo 3DS. More details about the game, as well as launch timing, will be announced in the future.
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.: The game takes place on a mysterious island, and challenges Mario to go between the real world and Luigi’s dreams to rescue Princess Peach. The game will be available in stores and in the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on 12th July.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: This handheld update of the original smash-hit for Wii adds eight new stages that players can enjoy after they have completed the main game, as well as a New Mode optimised for handheld play with new items and mechanics. The game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on 24th May.
- Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move: This Nintendo eShop exclusive challenges players to place tiles on the bottom screen to guide the Mini characters to their goal on the top screen. The game offers more than 180 stages in four different modes. Players can also create and upload their own stages, and play those created by other players around the world. The game will launch on 9th May.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf Hardware Bundle: A special Nintendo 3DS XL system featuring artwork from Animal Crossing: New Leaf that comes pre-installed with the new game will be available on launch day, 14th June. You can also keep up to date with latest news on the game via the official Twitter and Facebook feeds.
- Mario Golf: World Tour: Players who connect their Nintendo 3DS systems to the Internet can play competitive real-time multiplayer matches against others across the globe. They can also use the community feature to find others to play golf with. The game is scheduled to launch this summer.
- Two games in The Legend of Zelda series for Virtual Console: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons are headed to the Virtual Console service for Nintendo 3DS. The games were originally developed by Capcom and released on Game Boy Color in 2001. The games are interconnected, as playing one unlocks secrets in the other. The games are scheduled to launch in the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on 30th May.
- Party like it’s the Year of Luigi: A new game in the Mario Party series is scheduled to launch for Nintendo 3DS this winter. The game features seven different game boards, each with its own set of rules. The game offers 81 new minigames that test speed, concentration and luck. In addition to the board game elements, players will be able to play minigames exclusively or try their hand at AR Card games and a lot more.
- Bravely Default (temp. title): Nintendo has revealed the game will be released in Europe later this year.
- Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy: The third game in the second Professor Layton trilogy sees the Professor travelling the world, solving the riddles of an ancient civilisation. The game will be released in Europe later this year.