Nintendo Systems Will Offer the Widest Array of Exclusive Games and the Most Fun and Compelling Experiences in 2013
Nintendo today unleashed a strong list of powerhouse games that will be available for Wii U this year, and provided first looks at key titles coming in 2014. These include some of the videogame industry’s most beloved franchises and characters, from Mario and Donkey Kong, to Luigi, Pikmin and Pokémon, to The Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.
Wii U News
- Super Mario 3D World: For the first time ever, Nintendo has created a four-player Mario game set in a 3D world. The game, developed by the same team that created Super Mario 3D Land for Nintendo 3DS and the Super Mario Galaxy games for Wii, lets up to four players play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad. Each character has his or her own unique characteristics, and people can play cooperatively or competitively. The new cat transformation turns characters into adorable felines that can scratch enemies and even scamper up the flagpole at the end of levels. Transparent warp pipes add some new puzzle elements to gameplay. The game is scheduled to launch in December 2013.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: The first Wii U instalment in the franchise comes from Retro Studios. The side-scrolling platformer has beautiful HD graphics that show fine details, such as Donkey Kong’s fur. Dixie Kong joins the adventure, which features the Kongs swimming underwater and moving from the foreground to the background. This time, the camera changes perspective on certain levels to enhance the sense of motion and deliver new experiences. The game is scheduled to launch towards the end of this year.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: The classic Nintendo GameCube game has been enhanced with beautiful HD 1080p graphics. In one change from the original, the Tingle Tuner has been replaced by the Tingle Bottle, which uses the Wii U GamePad controller to post comments about the game to Miiverse. Comments from players wash up on the shores of beaches in the game. Players also have the option to sail faster than they did in the original version. The game is scheduled to launch in October 2013.
- Mario Kart 8: The newest instalment of the gold-standard racing game introduces an anti-gravity feature that has karts racing up walls and clinging to inverted tracks. Elements from previous Mario Kart games have made their return, including gliders and motorbikes. The game is scheduled to launch in spring 2014.
- The Wonderful 101: This Platinum Games original launches 23rd August. Players take on the role of Wonder-Red, leader of a group of superheroes. Individually they are overpowered by invaders from space. But by working together, they can transform into a fist or blade and unleash massive attacks on their enemy. The polished, over-the-top look and music evoke classic superhero comics and cartoons.
- Bayonetta 2: Developed by PlatinumGames, the game’s title character has had a makeover that gives her a new hairstyle and costume. Her climactic abilities are more powerful and the action is as intense as ever. The game is scheduled to launch in 2014.
- A brand new title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. The creative force behind Xenoblade Chronicles is creating an open world for players to explore. Players can ride human-shaped robots at certain points in the game, or use the robots to battle enemies in the sky. The game is scheduled to launch in 2014.
- Wii Party U: This is a game that’s perfect for every kind of party. It includes 80 different brand new minigames and what we are calling “Tabletop Minigames,” which you can play with just the GamePad. The game is scheduled to launch later this year.
- Art Academy title for Wii U: A new instalment of the Art Academy series is in development. In advance of its launch, a new drawing tool taking some features of the new game will be released on Nintendo eShop this summer, just for Miiverse artists.
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: The highly anticipated new entry in Nintendo’s popular fighting franchise will arrive for Wii U in 2014.
- Wii Fit U: Although this game was previously announced to launch in spring or summer this year, it is now scheduled to launch this winter.
Nintendo 3DS News
- Pokémon X and Pokémon Y: The first games in the core Pokémon series to appear on Nintendo 3DS launch worldwide on 12th October. The games introduce an 18th Pokémon type: Fairy Pokémon, and have an upgraded graphical look that is a new artistic pinnacle for the franchise. A new feature called “Pokémon-Amie” lets players have a deeper connection with their Pokémon. They can pet them, feed them and form friendships with them.
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS: The handheld counterpart to the Wii U version will also arrive in 2014.