Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order released the first major update for the popular city builder Cities: Skylines yesterday, and it included a whole bunch of new content for free.
The first brand new content since the game’s release, this free update titled “Version 1.1 – European Theme” includes:
- Three new European Themed Maps
- Over 50 European style buildings for the new European map themes
- Wall-to-wall buildings enabled for the European Style buildings
- Tunnels, one of the community’s most requested features
- A number of Asset Editor additions including the ability to import custom vehicles
- A multitude of smaller cosmetic additions and bug fixes.
- Full patch-notes can be found on the forum
Commenting on the roll-out of brand new content, Brand Manager Jakob Munthe said, “Cities: Skylines will continue to follow the traditions set by other recent Paradox releases such as Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV of paid expansions combined with large updates of free content ensuring that all players, whether they choose to purchase the expansions or not, will have plenty of new features to look forward to. One of the major differences, however, between those titles and Cities: Skylines will be that minor DLC updates will be uncommon. The majority of content updates will be significant upgrades and additions.”
Munthe continued, “Going forward, we will focus on giving away the main features for free and improving the modding tools, while also selling major expansions around new mechanics. But we will also continue to offer free content such as new buildings and road types.”