The tenth expansion for Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios’ free-to-play Dungeons & Dragons based MMORPG is now available on PC, and is coming to Xbox One and PS4 at a later date.
Based on a new adventure from Wizards of the Coast, Storm King’s Thunder sees adventurers face off against invading giants, while braving their way through three new adventure zones and a challenging new dungeon.
Frost giants have forced their way into Icewind Dale, creating a call-to-arms for Neverwinter’s strongest to defend the land from these gargantuan invaders. Adventurers will travel to Bryn Shander, the largest settlement within the Ten Towns, to save the townsfolk from attack. To defeat the frost giants, players will need to enlist the help of classic Dungeons & Dragons characters as they explore different regions. This includes heroes like Catti-brie, Wulfgar and Harshnag. Once the battle has been won, they will continue on to Lonelywood and Cold Run, until they eventually reach Fangbreaker Island, a remote isle in the treacherous Sea of Moving Ice.
A full list of gameplay updates available with the release of Storm King’s Thunder includes:
- New Campaign – The new end-game campaign for Storm King’s Thunder is broken down into three parts, each unlocking a new adventure zone. When all three zones are cleared, players will have access to the dungeon on Fangbreaker Island.
- Three New Adventure Zones
— Bryn Shander – Adventurers must visit this remote settlement in Icewind Dale to save its inhabitants from attackers.
— Lonelywood – After clearing Bryn Shander, players will move on to the town of Lonelywood, where they will fight off trolls and other beasts.
— Cold Run – The last adventure zone is the frigid coastline of Cold Run, where adventurers will come face to face with the mighty frost giants.
- New Tier 3 Dungeon – Adventurers will need to complete the new Storm King’s Thunder campaign and equip their characters with high-level gear in order to access Fangbreaker Island, the most difficult five-player dungeon in the game.
- Class Balance Adjustments – In an ongoing effort to maintain balance for Neverwinter, we’ve made major adjustment to three classes, the Hunter Ranger, Scourge Warlock and Guardian Fighter.
- New Bosses and Enemies – Besides defending the land from Frost Giants, players will fight off swarms of arctic beasts, as well as three new bosses who rule over Fangbreaker Island.